Did You Know…
- Estimated between 16 to 20 million U.S. employees are caring for aging parents.
- Chronic stress experienced by caregivers can shorten one’s lifespan by 4 to 8 years.
- $33.6 billion is an estimated loss of productivity in the work force due to elder care responsibilities.
- Caregiving impacts work via absenteeism, partial absenteeism, coming in late and leaving early.
- Caregivers lose between 5-12 days of work a year.
- The stress of caregiving leads to increase health problems and doctor visits for themselves.
- Nearly 1/5 of caregivers quit their jobs.
- Almost 60% of all caregivers are employed full-time and 11% are working part-time.
- Nearly 80% of caregivers provide caregiving assistance 7 days a week.
- Nearly ¼ of caregivers spend up to 10% of their monthly income on caregiving activities.
National Alliance for Caregiving –EverCare Study
Metlife Caregiver Cost Study- June 2007
AARP-Cargegiving and The American Workplace State Surveys Research Report