Sometimes I just want forget about the whole caregiving thing – be it parents, children, and even my business. I often just need to escape from bills, social media and everything else. What I’d rather do for just one day – is to veg out and watch reality TV or cooking shows. That way, I can forget about the phone, computer and unexpected “drop bys” and get lost in someone else’s reality. I know, that’s messed up.
When I’m in this frame of mind I just want to forget about everything and watch shows that have no meaning whatsoever, to float away on a raft to another place, and perhaps just laugh my rear-end off.
A few months ago, my friend Lorrie Gartman wrote a post entitled “Guilty Pleasures – The Bachchelorette and other Breaks From Realty”. I’ve decided to share my own and call it “Reality TV and other Guilty Pleasures” (Volume II).
So, with that in mind – here are a few of my favorite reality shows and guilty pleasures:
- The Bachelorette – Monday nights – I have a standing date with my friend and neighbor Lorrie. We have the best time watching this dumb, unrealistic show and I must admit, we rag them all! (FUN)
- Food Network – I love watching anything on the Food Network. I never have to think of anything in regard to caregiving whatsoever! (don’t hate me for that, I need a distraction)
- I love most shows on the History Channel, Discovery Channel and a few news shows that make me say “what?”
- I love watching The Closer on Sunday nights with Nick and sometimes going for ice cream
- Did I mention comedy shows? LUV
- Cooking – To me, cooking is one of my favorite and most relaxing things to do. I love trying new recipes (Nick doesn’t always appreciate that and says I should stick to what I know best)
- The Pool – this is one of my favorite things to do – relax at the pool. I don’t think I’ve ever been a real “pool person” but more of a “beach bum” having been raised very close to the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe living in the Midwest and having such lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng Winters will do that to you
- I love hanging with friends, going to movies, spur of the moment beer with my neighbors, quiet nights reading, and skyping with my family